ME

My photo
Chevy Chase, Maryland, United States
I left my family, my friends, my comfort zone and moved across the country. I'm learning to love and rely on God in a whole new way.

Monday, December 1, 2008

Twilight

I wasn't a fan. Yet, I was convinced by three very convincing girls to go with them to see the movie. I was very apprehensive, especially considering my absolute abhorrence of scary movies. However, I went and actually enjoyed the movie. Yes, even I was drawn to the creepy, pale, yet somehow handsome Edward and the beautiful, strange, and slightly crazy Bella. I liked the movie. Although it isn't an Oscar contender it does hit a nerve with the romantic types. I mean what girl doesn't want to have some guy so drawn to her that he is willing to expose what he really is to save her life? Every girl wants a handsome guy to be protecting her, someone to stand up for her.
The movie is no doubt a ploy to get every person who watched the movie without reading the books to run to their nearest Borders or Barnes and Noble with the intention of buying and reading all four books in the next five days without putting them down. I wont knock it though, even I must admit that reading the books doesn't sound as painful as it did a few days ago. I guess even I'm a sucker for cheesy, vampirey, teen romances.....
But, even though I liked the movie one thing bothers me. Now, I know that I can't expect Hollywood to uphold my Christian beliefs, but for some reason I'm a little disappointed in their portrayal of this teen romance. I'm not against teens dating but I do worry that every girl's ideal of the perfect guy might be tainted by the dangerous, handsome, yet again creepy Edward. Sure, its a movie, but I know from spending time with lots of young teens that these girls do emulate what they see in movies. Where else could they possibly learn about the does and don'ts of dating(unless, of course, parents really do their job). They want an ending like in Twilight. These girls want or think the want a guy with whom they are "unconditionally and irrevocably in love".
Yet, These teens aren't just falling in love. They are talking about forever, and not a marriage sort of forever. She was ready for forever even before she really knew Edward. Even before she had spent much time with him she was "in love". Is that what I want my 12 yr. old Maggie thinking is the proper course of action? Fall in love first, figure out if you like the guy second? No, but then there is another question. Am I reading into nothing? Am I trying to find a reason to not recommend this film to my young friends? Honestly, I'm not sure. I have so many teen girls around me that it makes that last question a little hard to answer. The movie was entertaining and I'm glad I was able to see it, but these are still very impressionable girls. Is my recommendation of this film in their best interest? I guess it depends on the girl but it's a hard question to answer.........

1 comment:

  1. Dear Car,
    Thanks for writing down your thoughts...
    Love,
    Hilary

    ReplyDelete