ME

My photo
Chevy Chase, Maryland, United States
I left my family, my friends, my comfort zone and moved across the country. I'm learning to love and rely on God in a whole new way.

Sunday, July 13, 2008

Cieszyn

Hello all, sorry it has been so long since my last post. We have moved cities, and now we are staying at the church in Cieszyn. The church is beautiful and really fun because it has a crazy layout. It is hard to explain, but we are staying in the loft, which has a spiral staircase from the basement up to the loft. It is very cool, and even though I loathe spiral staircases, and things that make me feel as if I'm going to fall all the time, I've come to love this church and our little staircase up to our loft. I'm not quite sure what Poland has with spiral staircases. I know they are practical and take up a lot less space, but they are scary. We went up two different church towers, both with the steepest spiral staircases I could ever imagine. I'm just glad we are done with the super steep ones.(sorry If my spelling is bad.....I just tried to spellcheck and it did it in Polish so almost every word was "wrong" according to this computer)
Cieszyn is a beautiful city. The weather here is very similar to the weather in Yakima, just not quite so hot. The city has a very interesting history. Yesterday we had a private tour of the museum, which was extremely informative. The city is located right on a river. Some of the city is on one half, and some is on the other. The city basically goes right up to the river on both sides. We were walking around the market square, and we saw this bridge across there farely small river. Curious, we asked them what the funny looking bridge was for. They informed us that it was the Czech Rep. Border. So half their city is in Poland and the other half in the Czech rep. This is really funny to us. On the other side of this little bridge, they speak a different language, they have different laws, and they have a completely different currency. How Crazy! It would be as if Portland, Oregon and Vancouver, Washington were completely different including languages and currency(Of course the river is A LOT smaller).
We have had a pretty relaxing week here so far. Tomorrow we start our next camp, and we are all eagerly awaiting Monday's arrival of camp. As much as I have enjoyed this week of down time and getting to know our new Polish friends, I truly cannot wait to get started. Camp is hard. The work isn't easy and at times I can get completely frustrated. I have learned though that since teaching English is really our second reason for being here. Focusing on the first tends to get me through. The first, of course, being the gospel. I'm excited to meet the new kids. I'm really glad that I have the oldest group, and therefore a greater ability to just talk and chat instead of teaching. We will probably have more guided discussions instead of me teaching, which is great. Pray for my kids, and pray for our week of camp. I don't know when I will have internet again, but I'll try to keep you updated, and get some pictures up here!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting Carrie! It's great to hear from you. Speaking of spiral staircases, Tim and I climbed the cathedral in Cologne (the tallest building in Nordrhine-Westfalen) and it was a little spiral staircase almost the whole way...
    Love,
    Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is crazy.....I could hardly stand the one in Wroblaw(or however that city was spelled....) Anyway, I don't like spiral staircases.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol i'll be praying you don't trip down the stairs, as well as for camp to go well, and for many to here the gospel through you.
    katie v.

    ReplyDelete